A cleanser, exfoliant and moisturizer are skincare essential for your daily routine. It generally beginswith the cleanser by washing your face twice daily, followed by toner and moisturizer. Going one step further, toners help to remove fine traces of oil, dirt, and make-up that you may have missed when cleansing. Lastly, moisturizing is necessary to replenish the required hydration lost in both cleansing and exfoliating. But are you using the cleanser, toner and moisturizer that are best suited for your skin type?
No skin is similar as they are genetically determined but choosing the best skin care for your face and body is essential to care for your skin's health. This is why, making the right choices for your skin care products starts with knowing your skin type and care it needs.
If you are not sure about your skin type, follow these simple steps and plan a proper skincare routine for yourself.
A perfect, balanced skin type is Normal. It has good circulation and without any trace of sebum or oil on the tissue which makes the skin soft, with a smooth, even skin tone. But even if you have normal skin that doesn't mean you don't need to use a proper daily skin-care routine. Although normal skin is definitely the easiest skin to take care, the biggest concern of a normal skin is to maintain it. Just like any other skin type, normal skin should also be washed, toned and moisturized daily in order to prevent it from drying or acne.
Tips for Normal Skin:
- Wash your face at least twice a day, once in the morning and again before going to bed regularly with a good cleanser. Massage your skin lightly and make lather, this will boost the supply of blood to the surface of your skin to get a rosier complexion.
- Remove your makeup before going to sleep as makeup can clog the pores of your skin if left on it for too long. This is what causes acne to develop.
- Do not forget to remove eye-makeup carefully before going to bed. If your mascara stays on the entire night, it can lead to sore, puffy eyes. Applying new makeup on top of old, stale makeup is unhygienic, too!
- If you like make up, use a light make up and let your skin breathe at least once a week.
- Always moisturise to prevent your skin from dehydration and wrinkles.
- Exfoliating removes dead skin cells, which in turn promotes the growth of new, healthy skin cells, and leaves your skin looking smoother.
- Always use a sunscreen before going out in the sun. Use a moisturizer that has an SPF of at least 15 or use a sun screen in conjunction with your moisturizer.
- Follow a healthy diet with 8 glasses of water intake daily. With this, adequate sleep, regular exercising also plays an important part to protect and pamper your skin.
The blots of facial oil on the tissue, particularly from the cheeks, nose and forehead will tell you that the skin is oily. This skin type is never constant and changes upon the time of the year or the weather. The most potential causes for the oiliness could be puberty or hormonal imbalances, stress and too much humidity, leading to acne flare ups and enlarged pores. But biologically this type of skin produces more oil than necessary due to its overactive sebaceous glands. This is not a disorder so don’t worry. You just need to thoroughly clean the skin regularly with gentle, soap-free cleansers to get rid of the oiliness.
Tips to take care of oily skin:
- Wash your face no more than twice a day and each time when you sweat a lot.
- You can use a gentle cleanser but not a scrub.
- If you see a pimple, let it take time to heal. Don't pick, pop, or squeeze pimples.
- Use skin care products and cosmetics which won’t clog pores. Such products mention "noncomedogenic" on them, so look for it on the pack.
Opposite to the oily skin is the dry skin type which has a low level of sebum and does not maintain oil easily. Dry skin is often flaky and feels tight after being wiped. Gentle cleansing and a rich protective layer of lotion from the Makari Skin care products can help beat the dryness of your skin. It may be necessary to adjust your dry skin moisturiser for the changing seasons.
Tips to help your dry skin:
- Take shorter showers and baths, no more than once daily. Also avoid scrubs while bathing or drying.
- A mild, gentle soaps or cleansers are appropriate for use but avoid deodorant soaps.
- Always give the needed moisturization right after bathing. You can use ointments, creams and lotions for dry skin and reapply as needed throughout the day.
- Use a humidifier, and don't let indoor temperatures get too hot.
- Put on gloves when using cleaning agents, solvents, or household detergents.
If you find dry or normal in some areas and oily in others, you might have a combination skin type. The oil is produced mainly around the 'T-zone' of the nose and forehead but not on the cheeks, mouth and eye areas. With a combination skin type, even the pores look larger than normal because they are more open and have blackheads and shiny skin. As the best skin care, a combination skin will involve treating each region differently.
Apart from the four basic types, there are sensitive skins which can be caused by skin conditions such as rosacea, eczema or allergies. Sensitive skin can become inflamed and irritated easily. The Importance of skin care you choose becomes high for sensitive skin because many cleansers and moisturisers contain ingredients that can cause an adverse reaction.
No matter what type of skin you have, always follow these basic skin care rules which say:
- Put on a hat and sunglasses to avoid direct sunlight
- Never wear makeup to bed
- Don't smoke
- Stay hydrated